Happy 25th Anniversary to the cute guy on the grill!


Twenty-eight years ago, I met this cute guy at the local ice cream and burger joint. I was 16, it was my first day on the job, and I was scared stiff, literally. I had noticed him the day I had an interview. I was sitting on the bench in the lobby area, waiting for the manager, while watching the grill guy behind the counter talking to a friend. He had his wallet out and was showing her his license for some reason. It had the customary "under 21" red stamp across it and somehow I knew instinctively that he was 19, my parents weren't going to be thrilled about that, but he was going to somehow be a big part of my life. 

A couple weeks later, there he was again. While I waited for the manager on the day of my first shift, I found myself waiting again, in the seating area, except...there he was, on his dinner break, at the table across from mine. The normal thing to do would have been to strike up a conversation, but there I sat, at another table nearby, not. moving. a. single. muscle. And I knew he was watching me the entire time.

My evening was full of training videos about "square-dipping," taught by a perky woman who would constantly tilt her head to one side to make a point. We still laugh about those videos to this day! I was stuck in a little room in the back all evening with another woman who was also a new hire. Pretty much, I just wanted to know how much longer until I got to meet the cute guy working the grill. As luck would have it, I didn't have to wait long, because no sooner did I start to leave the training room than he was already in the open doorway introducing himself to me.

I found out later that he wasn't the only guy waiting for that opportunity, but he was the one who won the discussion between them about who got first dibs on introductions. He never sat around waiting for stuff to happen or leaving me in doubt about his feelings. He knew what he wanted and he pursued me all the way to the altar. He was the only guy out there who could match my passion for life and give me a run for my money verbally. He was the guy brave enough to come to dinner to meet my dad before we could go on a date. He also lived to tell the tale of asking for my hand in marriage at the top row of a college football stadium, with my dad looking back and forth between him and the drop off behind them throughout the entire conversation, contemplating his options...

We dated through the rest of my high school years and the beginning years of college. Though we completed the marriage prep at both his church and mine, to get a better idea of each other's faith background, we were married in a Baptist Church on the Solemnity of the Assumption of Mary, whose prayerful intercession has protected our union through many ups and downs. In retrospect, it was the perfect blending of our diverse faith backgrounds.

Our wedding day was filled with many funny moments and even more blessings! The week of our wedding, many family members came into town, ahead of the big day. I was sitting in my office at work one day when I glanced out just in time to see the men of the family drop by. They all opened the car doors and got out in perfect sync and looked like the cowboy mafia. I sat at my desk rolling with laughter! 

We were so nervous on the big day, but it was a beautiful day when all was said and done. We chose a simple church wedding on a hot summer day between college classes, filled with close friends and family. Our music minister put together a slide show of photos of the two of us growing up, set to the music of "Somewhere in the World" by Wayne Watson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrtfUFF8VrE).

"Butterfly Kisses" was the song of the times, but we all knew we'd have mascara running and be a hot mess for photos, so we chose the other song instead. It ended up being perfect for us, though the tears came anyway. I held it together just fine until my Dad and I reached the landing, halfway down the staircase, on the way to the sanctuary. I saw the tears in his eyes, all dressed up in a tux, and my resolve vanished completely.

Though not the typical wedding verses, we chose a passage from Scripture that has provided much guidance ever since, Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to him,

and he will make your paths straight."

We have since been through many winding paths, many peaks and many valleys. We have accrued a quarter century of ups and downs, good times and bad, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. Three beautiful kids and one in heaven, a fuzzy fur baby named Tigger, two states, two apartments, three houses, five churches, several deaths and surgeries, vacations to the highest peaks and many beaches, bills, awards, renovations, surprises, laughter, tears...many, many, many memories together.

Through it all, God has blessed and been with us each step of the way, guarding and guiding us along the winding way, making straight the paths before us.

Happy 25th Anniversary to the cute guy on the grill!

Always,

Kim


Popular Posts