Mothers Group Reflection #46: God of the Ants

An interesting thought popped into my head out of nowhere recently as I considered the state of our world in the midst of this pandemic, something I hadn't thought about in quite this way before. I invite you to ponder it with me during the week ahead. It goes something like this:

This pandemic came into each of our lives at the same time, and at the exact right time.

I don't know what caused this pandemic, nor do I feel compelled to figure it out. There are a lot of theories and speculations in both the realms of science and spirituality. But I do know one thing for sure. It did not surprise God one bit. Regardless of the cause, He knew it was coming and already had a plan in mind for each of our lives, no matter how this all turns out.

We may be in such differing places, whether busy with diapers and toddlers, grieving the loss of a spouse, coaching sports for our gradeschoolers, running a busy ministry, etc. Yet, all of our busy and vastly different lives intersected at the same time, over the same event, worldwide. God coordinated all of our lives, knowing this was coming into each of our lives and He has a plan for each one of us in the midst of it. Somehow, it came at just the time in our lives when God could use it to grow some area of each of our spiritual lives. I can't even get my head around that thought. God...is...just...that...big. And still, we can lack trust of His ways at times. It is absolutely mind-boggling, and yet so very easy to do, in our limited ways of thinking and seeing.

One thing that He has been showing me very tenderly lately is just how far He will go in His daily care for me. I look at this vast world, and I feel like we are about the size of ants in comparison. And yet, He cares about each one of us, in all our cares and needs, whether big or small. Nothing is too big to coordinate or guide in this huge pandemic. Yet, neither is anything too small to escape His notice and loving care and attention. I am reminded of one of my favorite passages from Scripture, Hosea 11:

"When Israel was a child, I loved him,
and out of Egypt I called my son.
The more I called them,
the more they went from me;
they kept sacrificing to the Baals,
and offering incense to idols.
Yet it was I who taught Ephraim to walk,
I took them up in my arms;
but they did not know that I healed them.
I led them with cords of human kindness,
with bands of love.
I was to them like those
who lift infants to their cheeks.
I bent down to them and fed them.
They shall return to the land of Egypt,
and Assyria shall be their king,
because they have refused to return to me.
The sword rages in their cities,
it consumes their oracle-priests,
and devours because of their schemes.
My people are bent on turning away from me.
To the Most High they call,
but he does not raise them up at all.
How can I give you up, Ephraim?
How can I hand you over, O Israel?
How can I make you like Admah?
How can I treat you like Zeboiim?
My heart recoils within me;
my compassion grows warm and tender.
I will not execute my fierce anger;
I will not again destroy Ephraim;
for I am God and no mortal,
the Holy One in your midst,
and I will not come in wrath.
They shall go after the Lord,
who roars like a lion;
when he roars,
his children shall come trembling from the west,
They shall come trembling like birds from Egypt,
and like doves from the land of Assyria;
and I will return them to their homes, says the Lord.
Ephraim has surrounded me with lies,
and the house of Israel with deceit;
but Judah still walks with God,
and is faithful to the Holy One."
- Hosea 11 NRSVCE

It is interesting to me...we all have a choice in how to respond to this pandemic, to trust God or not, and yet, either way we go, His love does not change. He may have to turn us over to our own choices at times in order to give us a wake-up call, but even then, His heart is tender and forever seeking us out, forever feeding and caring for us. He is always guiding and pursuing, always drawing us with "cords of human kindness" and "bands of love." He is beyond even the most tender and loving and attentive of parents. And even on the days when I feel like I'm the size and concern of an ant, I remember that God made, feeds and cares for even the ants. Because not one tiny thing escapes His notice and care.

Thoughts for further reflection:
Where do you see God at work within your own life right now? What about nature helps you to see and remember His care for you? If you are unsure, I encourage you to get out in nature for a little bit today, soaking in the little things around you. Consider keeping a small journal of your daily prayer requests and needs, especially those things unvoiced to others, and take particular note of the little answers to prayer each day.

Popular Posts