Mothers Group Reflection #43: Cupid’s Arrow or the Way to God’s Heart?


Unless you live under a rock, I’m sure that you, too, were bombarded at every turn with pictures of hearts and cupids as we celebrated St. Valentine’s Day this past weekend. I have to admit, until I became Catholic and saw a deeper meaning, I had become quite jaded by this day on the calendar. And while I don’t always remember the entire story behind this day, I noticed something this year that I have not noticed before…all the hearts with arrows through them. No, I promise you, I don’t live under a rock either, so how did I not notice this before, you may ask?

I think it just finally occurred to me to ask “why” this year. Why exactly do we celebrate this day with a heart with an arrow through the middle? I think many would say that our hearts are pierced with love for others, but as I look around at what most people think “love” is these days, that doesn’t really hit the mark for me. Those lovesick feelings in all the movies and cards seem to be more about self or infatuation. I think the issue is that often our hearts AREN’T pierced with love. Yet, as I look at that arrow this year, I think of Jesus this time.

When was the last time we let our hearts really be pierced with His love? It is so much easier to live with a fluffy sentimentality when we think of love, a love that is focused on surface realities or even seeks for itself. But Jesus came to show us a different way. On the cross at Calvary, He allowed His very heart to be pierced for our transgressions, while we were still sinners, and opened the way directly into the center of that heart where we will find a refuge in times of trouble, and all we could possibly need for the journey ahead. Suddenly, I find this to be a very meaningful image and timing, as we look ahead to the days of Lent that will quickly be upon us.

I once read that Jesus first allowed us to pierce His own heart so that we might be pierced by His. As we are beginning to turn our eyes to the journey toward Easter, I invite you to consider how you can let your heart be pierced once again with His great love for you. And I invite you to hide within those wounds in your own dark hours and struggles, knowing you will find all you need for the journey home.

Questions for further reflection:
When was the last time you simply gazed upon a crucifix and contemplated the pierced side of Christ? This week, I invite you to spend a little time in prayer thinking about the wound that led us straight to the heart of God.

Popular Posts