Mothers Group Reflection #18: Beauty in the Darkness



I was once strolling leisurely through a museum when all of a sudden I was stopped in my tracks by a large painting. It was very dark, and at first, it almost made my eyes hurt. There was something about it that was completely captivating and I just stood there, mesmerized. As I gazed at it, a curious thing began to happen. It was as if light began to filter in, and over time, this glorious scene began to unfold. The subject of the painting was a storm at sea, near a coastline. Boats were being tossed about, sailors were trying valiantly to handle their vessels, the waves were white capped and whipped all about. The artist used such delicate brushstrokes that you could see the foam on the white capped sea.

It was a terrible scene and yet absolutely glorious all at the same time, and I still think about it to this day. Few works of art have ever had this kind of a hold on me, but then, maybe it was due to the particular season of my life. At the time, I was in a season of darkness and difficulty unlike anything I had ever encountered before and I found myself wondering if that was the way it would always be. Fortunately, it was only a phase...a very long phase, but a phase nonetheless.

I think it is interesting that when we suddenly find ourselves in very dark places at times, our immediate instinct is to panic, to search all over for a source of light, and we have this driving need to find a solution. We think we have to do SOMETHING and NOW! The problem is, that we trip over everything we can’t see around us as we are groping like mad in the dark, trying desperately to find a way out or to find the cause so that we can fix it. We have this instinct to be in control.

In reality, what we need most is to stay still for a time and allow our eyes to adjust to the darkness so we can see what is around us before we choose which direction to go. Maybe the dark will be so much that all we can do is stand still and pray and wait for God to reveal something to us. If we are willing to stand still a moment and wait for the light to slowly filter in, remaining faithful to God, we can begin to experience the beauty that is all around us, even in that dark time. Something else happens...we become more aware of the presence of God in our midst. We are not focused on what we can experience with our senses, but just the pure awareness of His presence and love. Sometimes, we have to be willing to sit in the darkness for as long as it takes in order to see the bigger picture, and to know what it is trying to communicate to us.

I think sometimes the fear is that God won’t really come through, that He doesn’t really understand the entire situation or that He’s somehow distant or detached from it, waiting for us to figure it all out. So, we can feel the pressing need to act before His timing and before we have all the facts. We can become so focused on the fear of the dark, rather than letting our eyes adjust to see all that He IS doing and wait while He slowly reveals more. One day, maybe we’ll suddenly see the entire picture, maybe not. But we can enjoy the moment, the little pieces we DO see unfolding before us. We can know that God is loving us in the midst of dark times and caring for us despite it all. That does not mean that we won’t have moments of tears, endless “whys” popping into our minds, darkness and doubts. But we can trust the One who sees it all and has a plan, whether that plan unfolds today or many years from now.

I have been noticing a trend lately, no matter what church I am in or who the people are that I am speaking with, and maybe I’m stepping in it to even go there, but it’s been a tough year to be a Catholic. I hear many question the way this is done, or that is done. A few even question whether they are really even Catholic anymore or even want to be. Some are just tired from the struggle from within and without. Friends, family, media stories...it all seems to weigh on them with the all-too-often snipes or comments or even all out attacks on our faith. Sometimes the struggles are just differences of opinion in the day-to-day functioning of our churches, small groups, etc. Maybe they are struggles within our families or with our friends. I do not for a minute profess to have the answers to these tough things. To the questions about why our church can move so slowly at either the local or worldwide level at times. Why we faced yet another scandal this year. Why we go through this difficulty or that in our personal and faith lives.

I fear though, that if we focus for too long on the questions and problems, our faith can begin to weaken. While these things are important to ask and at times we do need to make quick decisions, sometimes we will have to sit awhile in the dark, with our hearts focused on God, before we can see the whole picture and how to move forward. This can take much prayer and patience at times.

So, what do we do as we wait during times of darkness and difficulty? We rest in the arms of Jesus as we turn to Him in prayer, whether that means just leaning against His heart for awhile just to hear the sound of it beating, or whether we begin to inch forward little by little as the light slowly filters in. We pray fervently and with long suffering, if necessary. For those in decision-making positions. For our families. For those next to us in the pews. For ourselves. For an increase in love and truth and community, both in our churches and in the world at large. We tell Him honestly and candidly all that is troubling us and weighing us down, how we feel about it all, as little children who run to their parents when they fall and scrape their knee.

I’m sure there are many other things as well and we’ll all be called to use our gifts in different ways. I don’t know the answers to the tough questions of life. I’m still trying to figure out my own set of life challenges. Yet, I know The Answer and my prayer for you this week is that you will also be filled with hope, no matter how your day is going, as we draw closer to God as individuals and as a community this Lent. Hope that God will prevail and our faith will too, as we rest in Him, even without answers.

I was blessed to be able to distribute ashes during the Mass on Ash Wednesday for the first time this year. I was amazed at the depth of faith and the humility of all the people that came forward that evening. Even though we may have tough days, or years, or even decades, the Holy Spirit is still ever present among His flock and the faith of many is very strong, regardless of our differences or difficulties. It gives me great hope no matter the daily struggles I face.

So, what difficulties are you facing in your own life at present? What are some difficult times you have faced in the past and how did you get through them? Consider spending some time in prayer this week asking God to remind you of all the ways He has been faithful throughout the course of your life, for the ways He has shown you love, and for the courage to continue moving closer to Him in faith and trust throughout the rest of your Lenten journey.

Verse for the week:
Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 NRSVCE



Photo Credit: Louise Hill, StockSnap.io

Popular Posts