Mothers Group Reflection #17: Isn't St. Patrick's Day Just About Green Beer?



My husband and I walked into a church function one St. Patrick’s Day. We were looking for a place to sit and found an empty table toward the back since the others were pretty full already, thinking surely others would join us. And we waited. And we waited. Considering I was one of the biggest class nerds growing up, this situation was quickly becoming uncomfortable for me. I kept suggesting to my husband that maybe we should move to a different spot. After all, half the fun of going was to interact with others. In his usual calm manner in these situations, he just stayed his ground and sat enjoying his drink while we waited for things to start. It wasn’t until the very last minute that our entire table filled in, and one of our deacons sat down next to me. No pressure.

What I first saw as a totally awkward social situation turned out to be a divine appointment. There was quite a bit of free time for conversation at the start of the event and he quickly learned that I am a convert, and a pretty passionate one at that. I think I gave him a good run for his money. After awhile he just sat back in his seat, with an approving grin, and suddenly said, “Oh, you’ll appreciate this!” He reached into his jacket pocket and produced a relic.

Of St. Patrick.

I am not even kidding! Here I sat, holding a relic of THE St. Patrick on THE day! Sadly, I had no idea who this saint really was. In my years as a Protestant, I seriously thought St. Patrick’s Day was just an excuse for people, who weren’t even Irish, to drink too much green beer and wear really bad fashions. Not a clue.

So, of course, the first thing I did when I got home was to search the web for St. Patrick. I found out that he was a very humble man. He was born in Britain, was captured and enslaved in Ireland for a number of years, before finally escaping and returning to his family. He became a priest and later a bishop, at which point he returned to Ireland to preach the Gospel message, often by using the shamrock to illustrate the concept of the Holy Trinity. He was known for his humility, gentleness, fearlessness, and deep love and devotion to God (for more information on his life, go to https://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=89). The humility of St. Patrick was the very virtue I needed most at the time, and here God produced one of the best intercessors for this very thing! I have since made it a point to really learn about this virtue and to try my best to put it into practice, despite my many failures at times.

I don’t believe it is a coincidence that St. Patrick’s Day falls during Lent, as it has been said over and over again by the saints that humility is the foundation of all virtue. St. Augustine once said, “Humility is the foundation of all the other virtues hence, in the soul in which this virtue does not exist there cannot be any other virtue except in mere appearance.” Since we are seeking to grow in virtue and to curb vice, what better virtue to focus on this week as we prepare for the Feast of St. Patrick?

As I sought to learn more about this virtue, I turned to the dictionary, as I often do when I’m struggling for understanding of the virtues (or vices). It helps me to clarify my thoughts and feelings as I study the actual meaning of the word. Humility is defined as a lack of pride, marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude or spirit; showing deferential or submissive respect; of low rank or station; unpretentious. As St. Patrick was also gentle, which is a close cousin, that definition seems helpful also. Gentle is defined as considerate or kindly in disposition; amiable; not harsh, severe or violent; easily managed or handled.

The things I have learned to appreciate most about this virtue have been personified by some really great people I have known, especially recently. Humility is quiet. It doesn’t draw attention to itself or feel the need to showcase it’s talents, virtues, etc. It just is. It is self-forgetfulness, not self-criticism or self-abasement, which also feed the ego in their own way. As some say, and it’s still not entirely clear where the quote originated, “humility is not thinking less of yourself, it’s thinking of yourself less.” I have noticed that humility is the springboard for holiness, a holiness that is contagious. The people that most personify this virtue in my life don’t have to do anything special, but BE holy. Because the ego isn’t getting in the way to steal the spotlight or control a situation, holiness has a way of just seeping out over time and hopefully positively affecting those who come in contact with such a person.

I often equate humility in life with interior freedom. It is choosing to be good simply because God is good. It is choosing to see God in the face of all others and treating them how I would want to be treated, regardless of age, rank, gender, religion, whether they are a friend, enemy, etc. In the face of disagreement, it is taking the time to ask, “how do you see this?” and respecting the other’s answer, whether or not I agree with them. It is less concerned with being right, and more concerned with love of neighbor, even when this requires us to draw a boundary out of love. It wants what is best for all involved and seeks God’s will in all things.

I close today with one of my favorite writings about humility. I invite you to pray this prayer at some point during the week ahead, with a heart open to the beautiful virtues God wishes to bestow on you during this Lenten journey. And know that there is a wonderful saint in heaven cheering you on in your journey.

Verse for the week:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,” Hebrews 12:1 NRSVCE

The Litany of Humility by Rafael Cardinal Merry del Val

O Jesus! Meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved…
From the desire of being extolled…
From the desire of being honored…
From the desire of being praised…
From the desire of being preferred to others…
From the desire of being consulted…
From the desire of being approved…
From the fear of being humiliated…
From the fear of being despised…
From the fear of suffering rebukes…
From the fear of being calumniated...
From the fear of being forgotten…
From the fear of being ridiculed…
From the fear of being wronged…
From the fear of being suspected…

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.
That others may be esteemed more than I…
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease…
That others may be chosen and I set aside…
That others may be praised and I unnoticed...
That others may be preferred to me in everything…
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

(source: https://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/prayers/humility.htm)


Photo Credit: Quentin Rey, StockSnap.io

Popular Posts