Mothers Group Reflection #12: Recognizing the Signs of Christ’s Presence



As we celebrated Epiphany this past weekend, I was still considering my resolutions for the upcoming year, the areas where I feel God nudging me to grow. One thing that always seems to be in the back of my mind whether it makes it onto the official “resolution list” is to be more intentional about passing on my faith to my kids. I feel like too many opportunities slip by as we’re running from one thing to the next. I have a stack of devotional books and tools to help share my faith with my kids that seem mock me at times. “When was the last time you picked me up?” “All that money spent and many days I’m just sitting here collecting dust.” I’m finding that probably the best resolution I could make for myself is to put all my “shoulds” into the trash can this year and just work on being more present to the little things each day. The thoughts that say I “should” be better at this. That I “should” share my faith with my kids in the way so-and-so does with her kids. Wouldn’t it be amazing if kids came with a manual?!

At the end of the day, the entire reason for our faith is our relationship with the Trinity, the relationship that expresses itself in love for others. With that in mind, passing on the faith really doesn’t have to be as complicated as I can make it. Maybe instead, the questions “should” be “Did I just open my Bible today and share something I learned recently with my kids?” “Did I show compassion to them when they spilled their milk….again?” “Did I take a minute to stop and enjoy the wonder of creation they are experiencing, and talk about the God who created it?” “Did I own up to my mistakes today and look them in the eye and apologize?”

Many times in our household, the faith is passed on just in conversations at the dinner table. Stuff just seems to come up in our day-to-day doings and discussions, and I am reminded of a few verses in the book of Deuteronomy, “Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart. Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise. Bind them as a sign on your hand, fix them as an emblem on your forehead, and write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates” (Deuteronomy 6:6-9 NRSVCE). These words weren’t meant to be set aside for special times like Sunday Mass or faith formation or even just a short devotional time, as good as those things are. They were meant to be lived, in relationship, with God and with each other.

One night, we were involved in one of these discussions about the persecutions that the Church endures throughout our world, how Jesus didn’t promise us an easy time of things on this earth and how we have to discern the truth in tough times. We were trying to encourage our kids to look for signs of God’s presence in our world even during hard times, how He speaks to us in everyday circumstances, the people around us, etc. and that He can make good from any circumstance. It wasn’t exactly the easiest thing to explain to three squirmy kids. The news was on in the background that evening, and literally, as we walked away from the table, the news anchor began discussing that very topic. My oldest daughter caught it immediately and stood, mouth hanging wide open, at the huge “coincidence.” God had just been speaking to us in that moment, confirming everything we had just discussed. We used to call these moments “God sightings” in Vacation Bible School. And suddenly, the light bulb came on in her mind.

As we celebrated Epiphany yesterday, I think there is an important lesson to take away from it: teaching our kids to watch for the signs of Christ’s Presence in their daily lives and the obedience to act on what He reveals. While it is so important that we pass on the truths of our faith in a world of half-truths and outright lies, I think one of the best things we can do is to teach our kids how to recognize the signs of Christ in their own lives, just as the magi saw the star and knew its meaning. They didn’t just see a star and suddenly “know,” they had learned a lot leading up to this big event. Yet, the bigger thing that stands out to me is their watchfulness. And action. When the star appeared, they acted, and they followed it to seek this new King. They were attentive when told in a dream to return home by another route. And they acted.

I don’t think we can underestimate the importance of these little daily interactions with our kids over time, of living our faith out in front of our kids and letting them see our imperfections. Of owning those imperfections, so they know they aren’t alone in their own mistakes. Of letting them into our own quiet times with Jesus, so they can see our relationship lived out and how we recognize those little signs. Of slowing down enough to enter into their world and marveling at the beauty of creation that they so easily enjoy.

Yet, we won’t be able to pass on what we don’t know. Do we also cultivate a watchfulness for the signs of Christs’s presence in our own lives? This can take many forms, such as Scripture reading, Eucharistic adoration, small prayer groups, journaling, spiritual direction, etc. God’s will won’t always be crystal clear, but He is faithful to give us small signs for each step along the journey He has marked out for us. And over time, those little signs will add up to reveal God’s will. Signs that declare to us each day that He always has been and always will be with us and for us.

Thoughts for further reflection:
How can you cultivate more awareness of Christ’s presence in your own life or that of your children? What is one small action you could add into your week in order to share your faith with your children?

Verse for the Week:
In the time of King Herod, after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, asking, ‘Where is the child who has been born king of the Jews? For we observed his star at its rising, and have come to pay him homage.’….When they had heard the king, they set out; and there, ahead of them, went the star that they had seen at its rising, until it stopped over the place where the child was. When they saw that the star had stopped, they were overwhelmed with joy. On entering the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother; and they knelt down and paid him homage. Then, opening their treasure chests, they offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they left for their own country by another road.” (Matthew 2:1-2, 9-12 NRSVCE)


Photo Credit: Daria Shevtsova, StockSnap.io

Popular Posts