Happy Anniversary!




I have taken a break from my usual weekly post to spend some time this month celebrating 20 years of marriage with this guy! The top photo was taken on our honeymoon the day after our wedding. That was before digital cameras were the thing and “selfies” consisted of pointing the camera in what we assumed was the right direction and praying the developed photo wasn’t a total waste. The second photo above was taken on a recent trip just the two of us!! The grandparents came to stay with our kids for a few days so we could take a much-needed break for sun, fun and time to reflect and reconnect. If I ever worried about the house being too quiet when the kids leave someday, this trip reminded me of how much fun we have even when it’s just the two of us.

We’ve been through a lot together over these 2 decades, some times that were really great and times that left us wondering if the sun would ever shine again. I was reading somewhere awhile back about how the biblical concept of becoming one flesh is not only a spiritual reality, but a physical one, too. Apparently, and my memory is fuzzy on the details, but we help regulate each others’ biorhythms – heart, breathing, etc. It was a really fascinating article! I wish I could find it and share a link. I was marveling at this truth when I flew alone for the first time last year and I felt like I’d lost a limb without my husband there. I was in withdrawal! When I shared my findings with my husband, his response was something to the effect of, “Are you serious? I am what’s keeping you sane?” ha.   ha.   ha.

Recently, we were sitting on the sofa flipping channels and something came on the news that shocked us both in a shouldn’t-be-funny-but-gut-bustingly-so-anyway type of way. We both instantly had the same gut level reaction. We leaned way back in our seats and said, “WOAH!” simultaneously and then burst into laughter. He glanced over and said, “If we ever doubted whether we were meant for each other, there’s proof!”

Over the years, we’re slowly smoothing each others’ rough edges, and in the process, becoming more of who God intended us to be. I’m slowly learning to take the long view and to choose my battles. He’s slowly learning that I’m always right (just kidding! …. kind of ;-) and we both learned we are not meant to tile floors together!

I’m thankful to have had him by my side these last 20 years and I look forward to new adventures in the decade to come.

To my true love and my best friend, Happy Anniversary!
Always,
Kim


Popular Posts