The Gentle Touch of Jesus



I sat in Mass today after a long, but needed two week journey to my hometown, the first time our whole family returned after three years away. I felt tired in that moment, out of emotional or physical energy. There was a newly ordained priest presiding. He seemed to be a humble, quiet and straightforward man, yet Christ’s presence was almost palpable today in his message. It wasn’t a flashy message. He didn’t make a big stir. He just slowly, and with few and sincere words, put an idea out there. The simplicity of the moment brought tears to my eyes. I felt rest. Peace. Absolute stillness within my soul.

There is such a cult of personality these days, even in churches. People want to follow this person or that, thinking they somehow have a closer connection to God than another or maybe one is just more entertaining than another, who knows the vast number of reasons. I have been guilty of this too at many times in my life. Yet, today was a reminder from a simply delivered message that God works through many people in our lives. It isn’t about the instrument or the delivery. It is simply the call of our Creator.

There are moments like today in the wake of big changes where I am not sure what is next. I sit in silence. I hear the ticking of a clock somewhere in the house. I hear the soft whir of the air conditioner and feel the gentle draft drift down to my shoulders. There is a car engine somewhere in the distance outside. Then, silence. There is no movement, no past. No future in mind, just now. Only stillness. And Jesus is here in this moment. Right now. Just longing to be close, so much so that my heart almost aches a little at the touch of His love.

Photograph by Johannes Plenio, courtesy of StockSnap

Popular Posts