Green Lemons


This afternoon I was getting ready for lunch when my son raced into the room, in a tizzy over whether he would get to have 7Up for lunch today. My husband usually buys Sierra Mist, but since they were out at the store, he chose 7Up instead. I usually serve milk, but as my son pointed out, he had not had 7Up in "years," so he had to have it! It took a little negotiating on his part, but he managed to score a can of it and sat at the table happily sucking it down while I finished lunch preparations. 

He was sitting there quietly mesmerized by the label. Suddenly, I heard him say, "Mom, did you know that there are green lemons?" I had to think about this one for a few seconds as I was already distracted by getting lunch together. When it finally dawned on me what he was saying, it just really struck my funny bone and I couldn't help laughing. 

"No, honey, those are called limes, but you're right. They do look just like lemons. They are all called citrus fruit." 

I had such joy in my heart over this simple little interaction. I know it is not a big deal and you're probably rolling your eyes at the "mom story." (I promise I won't pull out the wallet of photos). The thing is, I never lose the joy of hearing the ways that my kids try to describe something they have never experienced before with no name to associate with it. One child described the pins and needles we get in our feet when a nerve gets pinched like having "ants in my toes."

I wonder if God does the same thing with us even as adults. I have been wrestling with some concepts for many years and it just struck me this week that none of it surprises Him. He knows everything that is coming in my life and He orchestrates it all so that I will learn what I need to know at the exact time that I need to know it. While I may be overcome with regret at the times I messed up, I have to accept that I did what I could with what I knew at that particular moment and I could not have done better. Yet, I take away a lesson to be applied to the next person or situation. And none of this is just a random succession of events, but it is leading up to one really great event, when we are finally home in heaven. There is still so much to look forward to in life. 

When I look back, I see where He even allowed less than desirable circumstances because it was the stepping stone that I needed to get to the next place. He is so patient that He can bear my lack of knowledge and understanding because He made me and He knows all the steps that it will take in order to give me the wisdom that I need. He has done this many, many times before with countless people and situations and He can be trusted. 

I wonder if He isn't looking on with delight at all the simple ways I describe the situations that are new to me as that light bulb goes off inside and I discover some new idea or solution with delight at the novelty. I think more than anything, He is trying to impress upon me right now that, much like the moment with my son today, He just wants to "be"...with me. I can bring all of the little things to him that maybe others are too busy to hear and He delights to just sit and listen. It isn't about trying to impress Him or tell Him all the things I need from Him in an adult conversation. It is about just letting Him into my life in the moment as a child and telling Him about my day and then listening for His response. As I often tell my son, "do you know why I love you? Just because you are mine."


Photograph by Ben White, courtesy of StockSnap

Popular Posts