The Gift of Humor



Previously posted January 19, 2017 on a private blog.

I was talking to my mom yesterday about a recent trip she took to visit my grandfather. He is 93 years old and has lived such an amazing life. She was noticing how even as his age is beginning to show more and more in different ways, he never loses his ability to love others. He can't always remember things so clearly anymore, but he always remembers love. She was wondering aloud if the others that encounter him each day have any idea how wonderful he is, what an amazing life he has led and how many people love him. It's so easy to just see another face, but do we really know what goes on inside another? What amazing gifts God has given them and what amazing gifts they are in and of themselves? We can see the aging person who looks so frail and quiet. We can see the busy store clerk or the frazzled mom, but do we ever take time to really look at them and thank God for them and maybe say a prayer for their day?

It's funny she brought this up, because that very day I had been sitting in an emergency room, stealing furtive glances at the elderly woman in front of me. It was clear she was suffering intensely. I couldn't help wondering about her life. She was with her husband and another woman, a daughter maybe? I wondered if her family appreciates her, if she is loved or if she is seen in any way as a burden as they try to care for her in this time of such great need.

As I consider all of this, I am reminded of one of the greatest gifts that my grandfather has given us. His sense of humor. I am convinced that this is one of the keys to his long and joy-filled life. One thing I remember from growing up was the ability that he and my mom possessed to always find the humor in any situation. As a teenager, it drove me nuts! My mom was particularly gifted at finding a song for every situation. I remember rolling my eyes more times that I can count.

It is this same sense of humor that has also keep my marriage alive over the years. When we can't reach each other in any other way, our humor can be that lifeline. Like me, my husband also inherited this gift from his grandfather and it was this trait that initially attracted me to him. When I start to take myself too seriously, he is maddeningly good at pulling me out of it.

That very day, as we sat in the hospital, I was lost in thought, researching all of the things that could be wrong with him. Yes, I know, never, ever turn to the internet, but after hours of waiting for test results, desperate times called for desperate measures. He had been sick for days and was now suddenly showing stroke symptoms. As I was going from site to site, he suddenly looked at me and said, “I can't see out of my right eye!” Keep in mind, his symptoms were on the left side of his body. The numbness had been creeping across the side of his face for hours. I looked at him, feeling sheer panic pass through me, frantically considering what needed to be done. Did I need to run and fetch a nurse, was he suddenly taking a turn for the worst? What was going to be next? Would I be able to care for our kids after ten years out of the work force and a sick husband to care for? What was happening?!

Something just seemed off about his situation and I just sat there staring into his face, frozen, when it suddenly dawned on me...his right eye was closed! He had been laying there, eyes half open or closed all morning, and now, here he lay, one eye barely open and the other one completely closed. It was about this time that he couldn't quite contain the smirk anymore.

At that moment, I hoped it was a stroke and did him in, because if it didn't, I would! Luckily for him, there were too many potential witnesses. There was a sudden rush of blind rage, fear and utter stupidity at being so ridiculously duped in that moment! My heart was racing, my blood was boiling and I couldn't catch my breath. I have to give him credit though, I put down my phone and knew at that moment that he was going to be okay. My heart may never be quite the same, but life goes on and he's now on the mend.

We still don't know exactly what is causing his symptoms, but we do know that our marriage is still good and we are able to be thankful for the good gifts we have been given, especially the humor.

Popular Posts